Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Language of the Victorian Fan



Reading up on a few Victorian Customs led to a small blurb about fans I found really neat. A Century ago, this demur handheld accessory was used for more than to produce a breeze. It was also used to convey messages.

A few of them were:

Carrying it in the left hand: desirous of an acquaintance

Carrying it in the right hand: you are too willing

Carrying it in the right hand in front of the face: follow me

Closing it: I wish to speak to you

Drawing it across the cheek: I love you

Drawing it across the eyes: I am sorry

Drawing it across the forehead: we are being watched

Drawing it through the hand: I hate you

Dropping it: we will be friends

Fan with the left hand in front of the face: leave me

Fanning fast: I am engaged

Fanning slow: I am married

Letting it rest on the left cheek: no

Letting it rest on the right cheek: yes

Open and shut: you are cruel

Open wide: wait for me

Placing it on the right ear: you have changed

Shut: I have changed

Twirling it on the left hand: I love another

With handle to the lips: kiss me


Can You imagine if you weren't paying attention to how you were moving your fan or weren't aware of the fan language? oh the mixed messages you could be sending!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Patricia K said...

wow I would be bad at it









horseunicornkey@aol.com

9/22/2009 10:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL So would I! I am definitely one of those people that can't tap their heads and rub their tummies at the same time...fan language would be a disaster!

9/23/2009 12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home