Thursday, July 06, 2006

Misused words:

The topic of misused words happens to be a recent discussion on one of my many groups. And *sigh* considering that I’m known for misused words…I thought I’d blog on the topic.

I’d be in a world of hurt if not for my critique partners. More time than not misused words are typos. *long suffering sigh and glares at the word than* then?

See in my case, I learned to speak, read, and write while I was blind. The tricky part was while my mom stuffed my head with words and definitions, I had the hardest time keeping up with ALL the spellings. The HARDEST time. Oh, I have no trouble reading. In fact, I rarely ever run across a word I don’t know the meaning of. But, spelling and some time pronouncing gets very tricky.

As noted above, I even have trouble with simple words such as then and than. *Sigh* How many times over IM have I asked you, Mari for the correct one to use?

Here vs. hear
Principal vs. principle
Mantle vs. mantel
Fare vs. fair
Demure vs. demur
Loose vs. lose
Effect vs. affect
Rein vs. reign
Fiancée vs. fiancé

These and many, many more like spellings are easy typos for me, just waiting to happen. Discovering typos in my own work is the most difficult for me. I much more enjoy critiquing.

I remember years ago, I once had an author call me out in public for a single typo. Can you image? At the time my feelings were a little hurt. It took me a while to get back into participating.

Now, I wouldn’t be phased err…fazed. Now, I’d think-- does she have time to actually correct every author’s post typos? And what are the chances she'll edit for me?

Until later~
Rissa

PS; On a more interesting note, my DH who is bi-lingual also has trouble with like words. Though, his misused words are in speech as well. I think he’s adorable. One of my favorite misuses of his is-- boomer instead of bummer. LOl…

6 Comments:

Blogger FD said...

Does your vs. you're count?

Oh... I've got another: midevil vs. medieval.

They're not really something I confuse, but I see others doing it.

From your list, I'd have to check
fiancée vs. fiancé. Still can't say which is which. Though, I'm likely to get past that by using eg. bride and groom. LOL

7/08/2006 10:04 AM  
Blogger FD said...

Wait, midevil isn't a word. So, strictly speaking, that doesn't belong to this list. I don't know. One could be midevil: not uberevil yet not just one calorie of evil. Midevil. LOL

7/08/2006 10:08 AM  
Blogger Mechele Armstrong said...

LOL that's cute on Julio.

I do sometimes get words mixed up. They're/their/there. Usually I know which one I want but if I'm in a hurry or tired, oh well.

You're and your counts.

So there are levels of evil now? *blinks*

7/15/2006 7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol you do with some frequency. but my most common correction for you is set vs. sat.

there/their/they're and to/ too/ two are my downfalls but mainly because i am in a rush and spell check doesn;t correct correctly spelled misused words.

Muah
Mari

7/20/2006 6:51 PM  
Blogger FeyRhi said...

I am right up there with some of hte worst spellers in the world, and if I am IMing then you have to pratically read what I have typed out loud since it is all phonetic. (I should mention that everything I do is one long run-on sentance as well *G*)

My brother in law is french canadian and he tend to mix up sayings as well. My favourite was one day when he was really angry and yelled "Oh piss on me!" instead of "pissmeoff"
I couldn't stop laughing.

8/04/2006 1:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL Feyrhi! you and i seem to have the same punctuation avoidance problem. I have friends that say they are out of breath when I IM cause there is no place to stop. We aren't mispellers we are misunderstood!

Paula is midevil like the halo staying in place because its balancing on the horns? and i think angels are alot more fun with a little devil in them *g*

so yup Mechelle!lets have degrees of evil! ((HUGS))

8/10/2006 11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home